This is how the shirt looked with the pain spots (you can’t really see the two smaller spots, but they were very visible in person!):
I made a paper pattern:
I traced the pattern pieces onto the fabric (in this case, yellow gingham) using a water soluble marker. Then I sewed over the lines (doubling the fabric, right sides together) completely (not leaving an open place for turning):
Then I cut around the pieces (about 1/8 of an inch), clipping the corners diagonally and cutting
notches around the circle. Then I used a ripper-outer to slice a slit in the middle of the back so that I could turn the piece out from there. I then turned the pieces right side out and ironed them flat.I discovered that the largest paint spot could be seen through the pieces so I decided to place a piece of fusible batting under the appliqués. This was a terrific idea! It gave the pieces a quilted look! I then ironed the pieces and batting in place, then sewed them in place by hand.
Finished project (as you can tell, I nixed one of the rays…it just seemed there wasn’t room):