Tuesday, March 10, 2015

Strawberry Cream Cheese Cake



I got this idea from a Cook’s Country episode.  I altered it because I’ve never had much luck making my own strawberry layer cake.  I was afraid of the layers sliding since there are sliced strawberries between the layers so I made 9 inch square layers instead of round.

To me, this is a cross between a strawberry shortcake and a strawberry cake.  The fresh sliced strawberries really add a great taste!  And the cream cheese frosting isn’t as sweet as plain strawberry frosting.

2 layers of your favorite strawberry cake (I chose Pillsbury strawberry cake mix), baked and cooled
8 ounces washed strawberries
2/3 to 3/4 cup strawberry solids (I chopped strawberries with my food processor, then strained them—you probably need about 1 1/2 cups strawberries, then you will have some juice to use for something else)
12 ounces cream cheese, softened
10 tablespoons butter, softened
3 ½ to 4 cups powdered sugar

Beat the cream cheese and butter.  Add the strawberry solids and mix until combined.  Beat in the powdered sugar a little at a time.  Place frosting in the refrigerator.

Hull and slice the strawberries.  Lay the slices out on paper towels to get some moisture out of them.  Use another paper towel to place over the strawberries to pat the tops dry.

Level the cake layers.  Place one layer, cut side down onto a platter.  Place a thin layer of frosting on top.  Arrange sliced strawberries over the frosting.  Place another layer of frosting over the strawberries.  Cover with the 2nd layer, cut side down.  Frost the rest of the cake.  Arrange sliced strawberries on top as desired.
Store in the refrigerator until serving.

You will probably have frosting leftover.  I put the cut tops from the cake on a plate and frost them.  It would probably be good on toasted English muffins too.  Or strawberry shortcakes. Of course, eating with a spoon is good too.  I'm thinking it would even taste good on cardboard!




No comments:

Post a Comment