Monday, October 17, 2011

Cajun Corn Soup

This recipe comes from my dear friend Dawn Whittington.  She made it the first time I came to her house for lunch one Sunday.  It's easy and delicious!  I must admit that I honestly don't know if this really follows her recipe...I've used it for so many years I'm sure it's changed (as all recipes do with me).  But it's the gist of her recipe.

Beef tips (1-2 pounds) 
1 small onion, chopped 
1 can tomato paste 
1 can roasted garlic Hunts tomato sauce (it’s a small can)
16 oz. frozen yellow whole kernel corn
2-4 medium potatoes, peeled and cut into cubes 
garlic powder, salt and pepper to taste 
Colby/jack marbled cheese, shredded (optional)   
4-6 small corn cobs (optional)

Sauté beef tips and onion in a skillet with a little oil until beef tips are browned (but not done).  Don’t worry about the onions being done.  Drain off excess fat.  Place tomato paste and about 6 cups water in a large pot.   When paste is mixed into the water, add tomato sauce and stir.  Add meat, onion, and seasoning.  Cover and cook over medium heat for one hour, stirring occasionally.  When meat is almost tender, add potatoes and cook for 30 minutes.  Add corn and cook until corn is hot.  If needed, add some water (we like ours thick).  To serve, add some cheese to each bowl and dish the soup over the cheese.  Serve with cornbread or French bread and salad.   

If you want to freeze this, do so before adding the potatoes.  To prepare, remove from freezer, heat, add potatoes and corn as directed above.  For some reason freezing soup or stew with potatoes just doesn't work for me.

1 comment:

  1. Sounds yummy! I think this would be a good freezer meal!

    ReplyDelete