Thursday, October 20, 2011

Cheese Chowder

This is a recipe that an internet friend (Donna) gave me.  It's super easy and quick and very yummy!  One batch makes enough for a small family...double it for company or a larger family.   
1 box Julienne potatoes (I think Betty Crocker makes it) (you can use any type of boxed type potatoes, such as au graten--we just prefer the shape of these)
2 cups water 
2 cups milk 
4 ounces cheese (I like mild cheddar but just about any cheese will work), cut into small cubes or shredded 
4-8 pieces bacon cooked and crumbled 
1 cup frozen whole kernel corn   

Place the water and potatoes (not seasoning mix yet) in a medium pan over medium-high heat.  Cook until potatoes are tender (about 15 minutes).  Reduce heat to medium-low.  Stir in the seasoning mix until well combined.  Slowly stir in the milk.  Add the cheese and stir often until cheese is melted.  Add bacon and corn and cook until heated through.   

NOTES:  You can use up to 8 ounces of cheese (which is what my original recipe called for) but we just prefer 4 ounces.  You can add one small sautéed onion if you like.  Ham or some other type of meat can be exchanged for the bacon or omitted all together.

2 comments:

  1. I could see myself making this more than my regular potato soup...no peeling and chopping :)
    Thanks Tammy!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Kelly, I do make this more than my regular potato soup. Mostly because I like the taste of it better (but probably not the case in your situation!!).

    ReplyDelete