Friday, August 17, 2012

Whole Wheat Cheese Crackers


I found this recipe on this website http://www.cupcakeproject.com/2010/03/homemade-goldfish-crackers.html#ixzz23cahF6J0

I decided to give it a try using whole wheat flour. I was very pleasantly surprised!  I don't think I got the baking time exactly right but the smaller crackers certainly did better than the bigger ones. I burned one big cracker tray; undercooked another; and the small ones came out perfectly. Honestly, they tasted great underbaked or baked perfectly. The biggest thing is my kids love them! I only made a half batch since I only had half a block of cheese but it still made several crackers.  I am invisioning bad things to go with these...like cream cheese spread on top! 

Use your creativity and add various spices (garlic, Italian herbs, rosemary, chili powder, cayenne, etc.)
It calls for a food processor and I'm assuming you'd need to use one for this since the cheese would need to be ground up small to get incorporated into the flour/butter mixture. 
I used two different sized small circle cookie cutters (one is the small cookie cutter from my set of three and the other is the hole cutter in my donut/biscuit cutter). Here's the recipe (full batch) the way I did it.


1 cup whole wheat flour
4 tablespoons cold butter (1/2 of a stick), sliced
8 oz cheddar cheese (I didn't have any so I used colby/jack--will do some medium cheddar; some sharp next time!)
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon black pepper

Pulse the flour, butter, cheese, salt, and pepper together using a food processor until the mixture resembles coarse meal.  Pulse in 3 to 4 tablespoons of water, one tablespoon at a time, and only enough so that the dough forms a ball and rides the blade.

Remove, wrap in plastic, and chill for 20 minutes or up to 24 hours.

Roll the dough out to 1/8-inch thickness. (If you roll it thicker, it will still work, but the crackers won't be quite as crunchy. This dough rolled out so easily; you'll wish that you always worked with cheddar!)

Cut out as many crackers as possible.

Place them 1 inch apart on ungreased baking pans (the website said use parchment paper--there was no need, the crackers slid right off the bare pan easily).

Bake at 350 F until golden and crisp - 15 to 20 minutes (watch them closely after the 8 or 10 minute mark).

No comments:

Post a Comment