Saturday, October 20, 2012

Tupperware Sugar Cookie and Paint Icing

These were cookies done by the kids at church.
They had a blast and I enjoyed getting to see their “creations!”


















When I was a young child, I remember sitting at our eating bar in our kitchen painting Christmas cookies with my brothers. Well, I’m not sure if I really remember the event or have simply been reminded of it through stories told and pictures seen. But, I do remember the wonderful aroma in the kitchen and how the cookies tasted!

Recently I was on the hunt for a painted cookie recipe and I remembered my mom saying the recipe we used that Christmas was from Tupperware. So I did an internet search for Tupperware Sugar Cookies and lucked up on this recipe (check out the blog it came from for some awesome cookie pictures!)

It’s a great alternative to the butter cream frosted cookies I love to do. My little ones can do these easier and there’s less icing to make (and eat!). You can also make the icing more vibrant and bright than when using butter cream. Oh, and it’s cheaper than butter cream too!

The cookies are sturdy and crisp. They are not soft (I use my sour cream cut out recipe for soft cookies).

The cookies freeze well.
Granny's Sugar Cookies
(From a 32-year-old Tupperware recipe I found in my box.) 
1/2 cup butter (I used Imperial margarine)
1 cup sugar
1 egg
1/2 teaspoon salt
2 teaspoons baking powder
2 cups flour, sifted
1/2 teaspoon vanilla

Directions
Cream together butter and sugar. Blend in egg and vanilla. Stir together salt, baking powder and flour. Add to mixture and stir well. Chill dough at least one hour, up to three days.

Roll dough to desired thickness (about 1/8") and cut out shapes. Bake on lightly greased cookie sheet (or cookie sheet with parchment paper—do not be tempted to skip this!) in 375 degree preheated oven for 8 to 10 minutes. Loosen from pan immediately, leave on pan for 2 minutes or until cool, move to cooling rack or wax paper. Cool completely and ice.

Easy Glaze
2 cups confectioners' sugar
4 tablespoons water

Combine ingredients until lumps disappear. Spoon on cookies or dip cookie directly into the glaze. You can also “paint” the cookies using new, washed paint brushes (the cheaper, the better…you want coarse bristles instead of fine, soft brushes). I used baby food jars to make it look more like “real” paint.

No comments:

Post a Comment