Thursday, October 4, 2012

Homemade Italian Breadcrumbs

You may want a less processed product, 100% whole wheat, or just need some Italian breadcrumbs in a pinch.  It does take a little advanced notice since your bread has to be dried and hard but it could save you a trip to the store.  This is the concoction I’ve come up with.

3 slices whole wheat slices of bread, dried (see notes at bottom) and finely crushed
1 teaspoon Italian seasoning
¼ teaspoon salt
4 or 5 shakes of garlic powder
1 ½ tablespoons parmesan cheese

Mix together and use as recipe directs.  This is what I use for my Chicken Parmesan.

Notes:  I put my bread in the oven after baking something and turn the oven off.  I leave them until they are dried out (about an hour).  You could also try leaving the bread out overnight (I suggest in the oven).  You want it more than toasted, you want all the moisture out of the bread.

No comments:

Post a Comment