Monday, October 22, 2012

Chocolate Gravy

A special occasion treat!
When I was 13 years old, I accompanied my Grandma Bonner from California to Arkansas to visit some several family members.  One morning my Great Aunt Edna made chocolate gravy for breakfast.  I thought that was about the nastiest sounding stuff I could imagine…until I tried it!  Oh my!  Yummy stuff! 
I never got my Aunt Edna’s “recipe” but I have a feeling it would be “a little this, a little that” and not really a recipe.  So, I set to work and wrote my own.  If you don’t feel like making homemade biscuits, this is very good over canned biscuits too (actually, for years I preferred canned biscuits for this gravy).  As an added bonus, the leftover gravy becomes chocolate pudding (cover the surface with clear wrap and refrigerate).
1/3 cup butter or margarine
1/3 cup flour
3 cups milk
Dash of salt
1/2 cup sugar
1/4 cup unsweetened cocoa powder

Melt the butter in a large saucepan over medium heat. Sprinkle the flour over the margarine and whisk to combine. Cook for 1-2 minutes, whisking constantly. Slowly whisk the milk into the mixture. Add the salt, sugar, and cocoa. Whisk constantly to prevent scorching (it may be necessary to reduce the heat). Cook mixture until it becomes the right thick consistency you desire.

Notes: My favorite way to eat this is with my homemade biscuits spread with peanut butter. It’s the closest I get to eating a Reese’s Peanut Butter Cup for breakfast and it still being considered “breakfast.”

No comments:

Post a Comment