Thursday, June 23, 2011

Broccoli and Rice Casserole

A friend had given me some cream of celery soup but I didn't really have any recipes for it.  I came up with this recipe when we were having company one night.  It turned out great and our friends really liked it!  It's a combination of my grandmother's recipe and my own creation.

14 oz. frozen broccoli florets, cooked tender-crisp and drained
1 ½ cups cooked rice (I use brown) 
1 can cream of celery soup 
½ cup milk 
1 ½ cups cheddar cheese, shredded (6 oz.) 
1 sleeve Ritz crackers (or generic, which is what I use) 
¼ cup melted butter   

Combine broccoli, rice, cream of celery, milk, and cheese.  Pour into greased casserole dish (2 qt. I think).   Bake at 375 for 30 minutes.    Crush crackers and toss with butter.  Cover casserole with crackers and bake 15 minutes or until golden brown. 

You can, of course use all "light" ingredients.  You can replace the melted butter with the spray margarine.  Simply crust the crackers, spray a couple times, toss, spray, toss...do this a few times.  Works great!

You can also substitute cream of chicken or mushroom for the cream of celery.

No comments:

Post a Comment