Friday, July 27, 2012

Barbecue Sauce (sugar free)

Since I’m trying to live sugar free right now and I love BBQ sauce, I just HAD to find an alternative (since bottle sauces list high fructose corn syrup first!).  This is what I came up with.  I’m sure I’ll be tweaking it as time goes by.  For the entire batch, I figured about 150 calories but do your own figuring since the Worcestershire and soy sauce could have different caloric values.

1 cup water (you can add more water if a thinner consistency is necessary, up to a cup)
1/2 medium onion, chopped
3 cloves garlic, minced
1 banana pepper (mine was hotter than most), seeded and minced
1 small can tomato sauce
1/4 cup Worcestershire sauce or soy sauce (check label for sugar)
Chili powder (5 or so shakes)
Cumin (a little sprinkle)
2 teaspoons honey, optional

Mix all in a saucepan.  Bring to boil; reduce to medium low and cook until desired consistency. 
I baked my pork in this so I didn’t cook it on the stove long and it was very thin like soup.  After cooking the meat, it got pretty thick so 1 ½ cups water would probably be more accurate.

No comments:

Post a Comment