Friday, March 11, 2011

The best biscuits I ever made

A friend challenged me months ago.  She mentioned she was looking for a really good biscuit recipe.  I had to admit that I may be able to make good scones and other baked goods but biscuits weren't on my top ten list.  Since Austin likes biscuits, I do make them but they're tolerable at best.  Then I got a brainstorm!  My scones usually turn out great and they have real butter in them (instead of shortening or oil).  So a new recipe was born.  I admit I've only made these once but they turned out so well, I feel the recipe is worth sharing.  I'm sorry there won't be a picture.  That's disappointing because they not only tasted yummy but they were pretty too (which is saying a lot since biscuits, in my opinion, aren't generally ''pretty").

2 cups all-purpose flour
1 tablespoon baking powder
1 teaspoon salt
1 stick real butter (cold, salted, not unsalted), cut into small chunks
1 cup buttermilk (I put 1 tablespoon lemon juice in a measuring cup and added enough whole milk to make 1 cup, let it rest 10 minutes and stir)
1 tablespoon real butter

Place iron skillet into oven, heat at 400 degrees. Mix dry ingredients, add butter and cut in. Add buttermilk and stir just until combined. Pat out on floured surface and cut into desired shape. Remove skillet and add 1 tablespoon butter. Let melt, tilting pan to coat bottom. Add biscuits. Bake until done (15-20 minutes?).

**NOTE: You can use self-rising flour in place of all-purpose, omit the baking powder and salt.  If you think it needs more milk, add some (if you made your own buttermilk, you can just use some plain milk).

No comments:

Post a Comment