Thursday, March 17, 2011

Homemade Playdough

I thought of this recipe this afternoon while my kids were happily playing with some.  It’s so easy and economical to make.  In my opinion, it’s much more fun to play with than the store-bought kind.  Plus, if my kids eat it then I don’t have to panic since I know exactly what’s in it.  The ingredients are very basic so I always have them on hand and we can mix up a batch when needed.  Let the kids help (they can at least help measure stuff out) and they’ll think it’s really neat that they helped make their own playdough (or at least Josie does!).   

1 cup flour 
½ cup salt 
2 tablespoons cream of tartar 
2 tablespoons oil 
1 cup water   

Mix flour, salt, and cream of tartar; add oil.  Slowly add water and stir together.  Cook over medium heat, stirring until dough becomes stiff.  Turn out onto wax paper and let cool.  Knead the playdough with your hands until proper consistency.    Add food coloring while kneading, if desired.   Store in a ziplock bag.

No comments:

Post a Comment