Thursday, April 7, 2011

Ham Ball (great for using leftover ham!)

This is my mom's recipe.  She usually makes it for family get-togethers or church fellowships.  I often make it just for us to have (Austin really likes it!).  I don't buy chips often so this is a great "addition" when we have sandwiches for supper.  It's so simple but has a great flavor!  We usually eat it on saltines but it's great on Ritz crackers and Sociables.  Also a great tea sandwich filling (either omit the nuts or stir some into the mixture).  

1 – 8 oz. cream cheese, softened 
¼ cup mayonnaise 
2 cups cooked ham, grated (I use my food chopper for this)
2 tablespoons parsley 
1 teaspoon chopped onion (dried) 
¼ teaspoon dry mustard 
¼ teaspoon hot sauce 
½ cup chopped nuts (I prefer toasted walnuts)   

Combine cream cheese and mayo until smooth.  Add in all other ingredients (not nuts) and stir well (I use my mixer).  Refrigerate several hours.  Form into ball and roll in nuts.  Serve with crackers.   Also a great tea sandwich filling (omit nuts).

 Oftentimes I'm making this at the last minute so I sprinkle half of the nuts in a shallow bowl, scoop the ham mixture on top and sprinkle the rest of the nuts over the mixture, then refrigerate.  It tastes great right after making it but is at its peak the next day!

No comments:

Post a Comment