Thursday, April 14, 2011

Meatballs

This is basically my meatloaf recipe.  I had to have supper done quickly one night so I figured I could make these and they would cook quicker than my meatloaf.  I was right and really glad I tried it because we like these much better than we like meatloaf!  And they weren’t greasy like my meatloaf usually is.  If you have a favorite meatloaf recipe, try it as a meatball recipe…hopefully you’ll be as pleasantly surprised as I was!     

1 ½ pounds ground beef 
½ yellow onion, chopped 
a few splashes of soy sauce (or Worcestershire…I would have used this but I didn't have any) 
1 teaspoon salt 
pepper and garlic powder (just a few shakes) 
¼ cup quick oatmeal 
1 egg   

Crumble the beef into a large bowl.  Sprinkle the onion, soy sauce, salt, pepper, garlic powder, and oatmeal over it.  Crack the egg on top.  Mix with hands until well combined.    Make into meatballs.  One way of doing even-sized meatballs is to pat out the mixture into a square or rectangle.  Cut into same-sized pieces, roll into balls.  I find this is too much trouble so I just pinch off pieces and roll them up.   

Place in a baking pan or cookie sheet.  Bake for 15-30 minutes (depending on meatball size) or until done.  Remove from pan and serve.    I like to move them to another baking pan and spread ketchup and bbq sauce on them.  Put them back in the oven for 5 minutes until the ketchup and bbq sauce is hot.  I like to move them to a second pan because it gets them out of the grease that’s in the bottom of the first pan.

No comments:

Post a Comment