Friday, June 22, 2012

Chocolate Zucchini Cake

This is a moist, delicious cake! Be sure to make it in a glass pan.
Cream together:
1/2 cup butter or margarine
1/2 cup vegetable oil
1 3/4 cups white sugar
2 eggs

Add to creamed mixture:
2 ½ cups all-purpose flour
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon (I omit this)
1/2 teaspoon salt
4 tablespoons unsweetened cocoa powder

Blend in:
1/2 cup buttermilk (I use regular milk or ½ tablespoon lemon juice combined with ½ cup milk, let sit for 5 minutes)
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
2 cups grated zucchini (unpeeled)
1/2 cup semisweet chocolate chips (I omit this if I don’t have it)

Spread in a greased 9 x 13 inch pan. Bake in a preheated 325 degree oven for 40-45 minutes.

Frosting:
1 stick margarine or butter
4 tablespoons cocoa
5 tablespoons milk
1 pound powdered sugar (I usually add about ¾ cup more)
½ cup chopped nuts (I usually omit this)
1 teaspoon vanilla

Combine and bring to boil margarine, cocoa, and milk. Mix in vanilla, nuts, and powdered sugar. Can frost while warm (I probably let the cake cool 20-30 minutes, then make the frosting).

No comments:

Post a Comment