Wednesday, April 25, 2012

Granola

This is a recipe that came from a Cascade/Frebreeze/Dawn advertisement.  It’s my favorite granola recipe!  We like it with milk (like cereal).  In my opinion it’s best with vanilla yogurt.  Yum!

3 cups old-fashioned oatmeal
¼ cup canola oil
¼ cup honey
¼ cup packed brown sugar
1 teaspoon vanilla
¼ teaspoon cinnamon
½ teaspoon salt
2 cups stir-ins (dried fruit & nuts—I used 1 cup walnuts and 1 cup dried cranberries)

Preheat oven to 325 degrees.  Line a large baking sheet with parchment paper or spray with non-stick spray (you can do neither but some of the oats will stick to the bottom).  Stir together oil, honey, sugar, vanilla, cinnamon, and salt.  Pour over oatmeal and stir to coat.  Stir in the nuts if desired (I did because I wanted the walnuts to be toasted).  Spread mixture onto baking sheet.  Bake for 20-30 minutes, stirring every 5 minutes until golden brown.

Let cool completely.  Stir in fruit (and nuts if you didn’t add them prior to baking).  Transfer to an air tight container.

2 comments:

  1. I discovered an easy way to lighten this up a bit! Use 2 egg whites in place of the oil (my eggs are fresh and about the size of a large egg from the grocery store). The texture is great!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Someone asked about using only honey for this recipe. I tried it and did not like the texture (more chew than crunchy). So, I use the 1/4 cup honey and 2 tablespoons dark brown sugar. Also, you could use molasses or sorghum for a stronger taste in place of the honey.

    ReplyDelete